Monday, January 10, 2011

A Rant: Harmon and Bert

Since my roommate snores - I will one up him and blog a little (am I really getting the better deal here?)....

Since I am blogging I figured this would be a good time to rant a little (well to be honest this is not quite a rant but more of a long rambling dissertation) - the Topic: "Two Hall of Fame Baseball Players" (subjects Harmon Killebrew and Bert Blyleven).



Last year I came to camp and one of the many things that just completely blew me away was how genuinely nice many of the Pro Staff were. One of them (well more than one of them) was Harmon Killebrew. His nickname when he played was "Killer" - he killed fastballs but he is one of those "gentle giants" and his personality is simply amazing. I feel bad for all the rookie campers that attended this camp and will not get to meet Harmon. I figured he would not be able to attend the camp this year but I feel lucky to have met him three times in 2010. Every time he was just as gracious and sincere as the first. I was able to attend a golf tournament this summer and I took my Dad along. My Dad loved Harmon - well Harmon was at said golf tournament and Dad was able to shake hands and get a couple of autographs from number 3. What is great about Harmon is he just doesn't sign and move on - he enjoys talking and telling a story while doing it. Truly a man with a big heart. I know he will beat this cancer like he beat up on hanging breaking balls! Our prayers are with you Harmon - get well soon!




I saw Bert today and decided that a Congratulations was in store. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be named an inductee of the Hall of Fame...but I saw it on Sunday. Bert didn't even swear while having a quick one minute conversation (for those who know him...he sometimes like to say the "eff" word occasionally). Viola and Brunansky also swear that is he is the only man they know who can fart on command (and word it's not potpourri). I thing I truly like about Bert is when he signs something - he loves to personalize it. It's a nice touch when these guys take a little time to add something more than just their name to the photo (or the like) when they are kind enough to grab the sharpie!

I am glad Bert is in the Hall - you can make plenty of arguments why he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame and I cannot disagree with any of them - but he represents why baseball is a great sport and if he would have played on more winning teams - his statistics would have made him a 2nd or 3rd ballot HOF'er instead of a 14th ballot.

Bert amuses the crowd

Get Better Harmon....Stay your same self Bert

PB

No comments:

Post a Comment