Thursday, December 15, 2022

2023 - All good things....

All good things do come to an end -- they just do. Life is full of surprises, life is full of ups and downs. In 2007 a good friend of mine told me he was attending Twins Fantasy Camp in 2010 -- I graciously invited myself to join him, I mean I figure I was doing HIM a favor by going along with his great idea. We both agreed this would be a "bucket" list item and most likely a one time event. Let's fast forward to January 2022 -- I attended my 12th camp all in succession (with one year off due to that silly virus).


The decision to not attend the 2023 camp was a tough one, in fact I was considering not attending in 2022 but missing 2021 and in the spirit of doing something normal again the 2022 camp was one of the best decisions I made - the camp family that exists is real the friendships that have been formed over the years has been simply just overwhelming.

So if you are looking for any 2023 camp updates -- this blog will not be very helpful, in fact basically useless -- maybe one of the other camp fixtures can take on the daily updates and fun I hope I provided over the week for the last few years.

The sad part is I have not really told many people of my absence for camp and the handful of those who I have told -- the response is crazy -- it's like I have gone 'mad' by not going.....it's sort of funny to me these reactions I get.

The upshot in this decision - I will be able to see my son turn 17 in person - I have missed the vast majority of his birthdays (12 to be exact) and he only has a few of them left while under my roof (thank goodness). My son (Grant) also plays basketball and as a junior in high school (and the fact he is his father's son -- I didn't bless him with any height) he plays JV and most likely this will be his last year of competitive basketball, so it's just something that has been on my mind to soak in these last years (and quite frankly celebrate them -- launching two boys out of our house is a great feeling). I also did not spend countless hours in November and December getting ready for camp - it's a long week with lots of innings, I was spared any major injuries (praise the Lord) over the years so I feel like I am playing with house money. Probably the only regret is losing the last game after our team felt good about playing all week but in reality, 6 teams finished camp with a loss.....so chances are it's going to happen.  The upshot of losing on Friday is my Saturday game record still stands at 9-0.

So to those who actually check this blog -- wow....not sure what to say -- I will miss the week of baseball, I will miss the clubhouse, I will miss the many friends and teammates, I will miss meeting new guys and new teammates. I will miss a lot, but I have cherished memories of teammates, friends, and amazing baseball games. 

I also did another thing -- I didn't renew my Twins tickets for 2023......the times they are a changin'....


Frankie V is not going to be happy with me. Same with the Terminator.




God Bless your 2023.

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your play by play of the days but no one can fault your reasoning, some things you just can’t relive and time with your boys is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this Paul-but I’ve missed things(like playing baseball at the old Omaha WS field) to spend time with my kids. There will be plenty of time in the future for us to (hopefully) play together. You will be missed, but I understand 100%!! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be missed, Paul! But you are doing the right thing. Family comes first! Have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to miss the chance to possibly, finally be on a team with you Pauly. But, you have to put the family first. Figure you can bring your boys to camp one day in the future as I did with my daughters. More memories to be made!

    ReplyDelete