Friday, January 4, 2019

It’s that time again – for some baseball!

The 2019 adventure begins a day early for me, I chose to fly out on Friday rather than the customary Saturday – so my week trip now is extended by one day.  I will soon be at the hotel bar and seeing many of my baseball friends (well family) in the next few hours after landing in Ft Myers.  This camp was supposed to be a one time trip but turned into (as of this year) – a 10 year journey and having such a good time!  This year is interesting and even more funny to blog about it – I will be enshrined into the Minnesota Twins Fantasy Camp Hall of Fame – this is because of appearances at the camp rather than actual achievement, WAR (wins-over-replacement), or getting votes from baseball writers. This 10th year will be great because the guy who brought me here in 2010 (referred to in this blog as M-Dub, Mark, or MW) had such a great week together I decided I should continue on the journey.  Shout out to Mark’s wife (Tonya) for letting him get away from his busy family – MW has 4 kids (and busy, awesome kids at that) – but I have Mark to blame for this 10 year run – it was in 2007 while playing softball with Mark that he told me for his 40th birthday he will be attending Twins Fantasy Camp – I do believe I immediately told him, “I should go with you” and as they say the rest is history. This trip will be vastly different than the trek we took in 2010.  Number 1 is the weather – Mark and I boarded the plane in MN leaving behind -12 temps (with at least -40 wind chills) and when we landed in Ft Myers it was a lot warmer but only 39 degrees (if  my memory is correct) and it was raining – but it still felt good. We also had to deal with “chilly” weather for most of the week as well – about 40 on Sunday, 45 on Monday – 50, 55 (and windy) and by the end of the week – we had a beautiful day on championship Saturday – Sunny and 70’s – well if the forecast this week is even close to predictions – we might not have a day under 70 – so things are lining up quite nicely – it also seems the weather in MN this week suggests the El Nino kicking in they will be in the 30’s all week – thankfully – the ice in my driveway and sidewalks need some melting!

Well our first night in 2010 included taking a chair at the opening night banquet wondering what was going on -- and within a few minutes a guy named Harmon asked us if the other chairs were available to sit at......so we will see what this week will bring.

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your induction into the Hall of Fame! You made a very good decision 10 years ago. You are a great baseball player and a good sport too!

    ReplyDelete