Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday's games are in the books

It was a chilly morning (per Fort Myers) with temps in the low 60's but a solid north wind at around 15 mph kicking around for the start of the friday games.   The "unofficial" standings turned into official standings when I made it into the locker room this morning and it confirmed all the seeding and the matchups.  I forgot to report that yesterday afternoon in anticipation of pitching today that I did "cold jacuzzi" for 8 minutes - the water was a lukewarm.....er check that....a coldish 50 degrees.  The first 2 minutes were complete torture, when you body enters that cold of water it sends shockwaves -- I could barely breathe!  After a torturous 2 minutes I began to adjust and my toes when basically numb -- I stayed in there for a total of 8 minutes and when I got out and warmed up I felt very good.   Well this morning I found myself in the same jacuzzi but this time it was was much warmer at around 100 degrees and did a good 10 minute soak -- got stretched out by the trainers, a little 'atomic balm' to keep the muscles warm and loose -- and we are ready to play some baseball.  I was starting the game and the last two years my friday's at camp have been less than spectacular -- in fact, down right awful -- pitching 12 innings and giving up 18 runs is not what I call even average pitching. So I was on a mission to stop the history of poor friday performances.  I felt good in the bullpen and noticed one of the better umpires in camp was behind the dish -- confidence was high.

The top of the first I went out and was able to induce a fly ball, a ground ball, and struck out the ROY from last year (#2) with a nice outside change up to end the inning.   We got started in the bottom of the first with some hits (I had one of them) and with 2 outs Schmidt came up with a clutch hit over the left fielder which scored 2 runs -- it was followed up by another RBI hit and the PED's strike first to lead the game 3-0.  I went out for the 2nd inning to build upon my solid first inning -- it really didn't work out that way -- I walked the first batter, and then the 2nd batter.  I struck out the third hitter to get some relief, but then I hit (barely) the next batter with a pitch (it grazed his jersey) to load up the bases.  I struck out the next hitter and followed it up with a fly out to left to end the inning. I escaped some danger there.  I also escaped a big time potential rally in the 5th inning when they left the bases loaded as well. The 6th inning commences -- both teams were doing a good job getting a few a base runners on here and there but rallies were being killed (mostly by great defense and some timely strikeouts) -- game is still at 3-0.  I got the first batter out and then walked the next batter.  Abby G came up and grounded out to first sending the runner to 2nd.  Yoda was up to bat (and his nickname is Yoda because he looks like Yoda and it's true) - I had this batter 0-2 (I struck him out the last time he was up) and the next pitch I threw inside almost hitting him and the runner advanced to third.  The next pitch Yoda reached out and hit an RBI single to center field to make the game 3-1.  I was able to get the next hitter but a 2 run lead going into the 7th was not comfortable.  I hit into a FC grounder to the SS and on the next play scored on a single to RF to make the game 4-1 and to add a much needed insurance run.  The 7th inning I was going to face the last guy in the batting order and then the top two in the lineup -- Saggy's didn't have an up and down super team but they certainly had some good hitters in the mix and they were all coming up to bat.  I got the first batter to pop out to shortstop and then the next batter flew out to left - 2 outs.  I gave up a base hit to the follow batter setting me up with another match up with good old #2.  *Quick side rant -- while I really don't know this guy so I should not talk smack about him -- but he won the ROY (Rookie of the Year) award last year and I must still have sour grapes that a friend of mine didn't take home that hardware -- so long story short -- this blogger really, really wanted to get this guy out.*  I struck him out in the first inning with a changeup and he grounded to third (in which the umpire called him safe enough though he was out......oh well) so this is the 3rd AB of the game for him. I was able to get strike one and also strike two on him -- a good fastball and then a breaking ball that jammed him but he fouled it off.  #2 is a quality hitter with a good compact swing -- so I looked for the sign and Papa Smurf called for another deuce - I focused myself ready to throw the best pitch of the day -- and I did -- I snapped off a curveball that ended up being in the dirt -- #2 swung and lost his bat into the field of play -- strike 3 and the game is over -- PED's win and move on to the Saturday game.  I let out a loud "Yeaaaaaa" and pumped by fist as Papa Smurf came out behind the plate to congratulate me -- I felt a little bad but in the moment of being a competitor sometimes you have to yell a little bit.  It was nice to get the friday game slump out of the way and only give up 1 run over the 7 innings.  I ended up getting 3 wins this week and not sure if I will be going tomorrow for #4.   I ended up going 2 for 3 and scoring two runs so it was a pretty good game for me.  I am happy for the rookies on the team who will get the full experience and any veterans who have not played on Saturday for a while -- it was a 2 year drought for me, but I am not going to complain at all.

We will be playing 38 Special, coached by Brunansky & Hrbek, they won an 11 inning grudge match with the Stingers 7-6.  Stingers were leading in the 7th inning by 2 runs and a simple play was not made to end the game and allowed 38 special to tie it up and move on to extra innings.
The #1 seed Yo Julio's lost 6-4 -- while leading going into the 7th inning 4-3 they had 2 outs and nobody on and proceeded to load up the bases -- a seemingly harmless ground ball to the SS turned into a disaster and another hit later they gave up 3 runs.
The Warriors defeated the BSer's 3-1 and high drama was in the air as well -- in the 7th inning the BSer's had two on and nobody out -- but couldn't find the right hit to get the runners home.

Games are tomorrow -- 9:45 AM (Eastern Time) -- PED's vs. 38 Special
12:15 PM - Warriors vs. Sleepers

These games are broadcast live via stream on the internet -- msbnsports.net

Hammond Stadium is still under construction so the games will be played right at the complex rather than in the usual "big league" field.

Kangaroo Court tonight and Camp Karaoke this evening at the bar - should be a good time!


~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment