Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Morning Thoughts

The camp is both winding down and revving up at the same time.  We have 7 games in the books and now on to today in which half the camp will play tomorrow and half the campers will pack up their lockers since "losers" go home.

This morning's games will be the semi finals and these are the most important games of the week - you could lose every week during the week, but if you win friday it makes up for all of that.  I am 3-0 on Fridays so looking forward to my fourth win!   I will be pitching (at least I think I am) and this could be interesting since I have never started games in back to back games.  A day off between games is always good for the arm to heal up and feel better (get stronger) but here at camp we do not have many other good options -- so I am going to give it a go today!   I am "lucky" in the sense that my pitch count is low.  I pitched 5 2/3 innings and I have a hard time thinking I threw more than 70 pitches and my start on Tuesday I could not have been much more than 80 pitches.  A couple years ago I pitched a game where I threw at least 120 pitches in one game so I am glad I avoided that sort of pitching performance.

This afternoon is reserved for a game in Hammond Stadium.  This is the highlight for many of the rookie campers.  A chance to play baseball in the same stadium as the Minnesota Twins.  The rookies will split up in a couple teams and play a 3 inning game against the Pro Staff and will be able to hit off Viola, Blyleven, Aguilera, and other Twins greats.

Here are some pictures (I apologize for not posting some earlier):

Mark hanging with Bert Blyleven

Camilo Pascaul & I on the bench

One of my favorites Pro Staff - Dick Stigman

One of my coaches this week - Julio Becquer

One of my coaches - Ron Coomer

Mark hanging with Lee Stange "Stinger"
Today will be a fun day.....as long as we win......and if you remember -- I made predictions on how the teams would fare and I would have done just as well using a coin -- I had half the teams correct in the top bracket and half of them right in the bottom bracket.....so basically they were meaningless.  

Since I am not 100% positive who we play, but if we have a #4 seed -- we play a very solid team -- I think the big thing for me is to keep the big bats quiet.  They have 3 (if not 4) of the best bats in camp -- so if I can keep them in check we should do fine -- and as always -- our bats need to wake up and good defense goes a long way!!

PB


~~ "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win." - Yogi Berra ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment