Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday baseball!

Well here we are -- it's friday and it is playoff time.  The Canterbury Clan were set to play Stay Thirsty My Friends in the semi's.  Stay Thirsty had a great week going 6-1 -- in fact they scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 7th to win their last game and the team they beat ended up being the #5 seed -- so we have them to thank as well!!

We started off fast in the first -- I started with a one out base hit and advanced to 2nd on a walk.  Another hit and we were on the board.   We ended up scoring 3 runs in the first to get the train rolling.   Thirsty came back with 2 runs in the bottom, I couldn't find the strike zone consistently and they ripped a couple hits to scratch out some runs.   We did not score in the 2nd inning (neither did they) but we got two more runs in the top of the 3rd inning to make it 5-2.  I didn't have my 'good' stuff, my breaking balls were all over the place and my fastball was 'flat' but I figured that as long as I threw strikes we can keep hitting -- Thirsty's struck for 2 more in the bottom of the third and it was a one run game again -- 5-4.  We rallied in the top of the 6th giving us a good cushion -- I started the inning off with a double and the rest of the team chipped in to give us a nice 7-4 lead.  I was feeling good about our chances.  I just got through the "meat of the order" of the Thirsty's and the rest of the lineup was solid hitters but not the big boppers -- the plan was to throw strikes and see if they can get themselves out.   Well the bottom of the 6th -- my plan didn't work -- I threw strikes -- but boy oh boy, did they hit, and they hit -- after the dust settled -- they scored 4 and were up 8-7.   We had a nice rally going and the top of order up -- Doug came up to bat and hit a nice grounder in the hole to the SS -- once he hit it, I thought it was a base hit, but within seconds the game was over because they turned a 6-4-3 double play to end the game.  The Thirstys win -- it was really a good game and despite taking the loss and giving up a lot runs -- I have to tip my hat to them -- they hit the ball.  Generally in fantasy camp if you throw strikes you can get the hitters to get themselves out -- this didn't happen in the 6th inning and did not happen in this game.   I feel good about the game since we did play the best team at the camp and lost by one -- we didn't play our best game but we certainly played a very good game.  Better to lose a close game then to get whooped up on....that is forsure.

In other action -- the Stingers beat the Battery Mates 1-0, scoring in the bottom of the 6th to take the victory.  The Warriors beat the Hrbekskis 6-1 and will advance to the finals and in the other lower level game the DreamWeavers beat the Bombers 4-3 in a dramatic bottom of the 7th winning run.

Tomorrow -- 9:30am - Warriors vs DreamWeavers -- 12:15pm  - Stingers vs. Stay Thirsty -- we will be there watching the action!

We have kangaroo court this evening.....hoping my tweeting doesn't cost me more.

PB

"You can sum up the game of baseball in one word: 'You never know.' "--Joaquin Andujar

No comments:

Post a Comment