Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday Games & Awards/Banquet Night

This week flew by -- as always Saturday feels like we just got here (while Thursday felt like we have been here for weeks) -- the championship games were played at Hammond today and it featured the Dreamweavers vs. the Warriors.   At the beginning of the week I had predicted a top four finish for the Warriors and if I had made a prediction for today's game it would have gave them the edge -- well I missed the first inning (I got there in the 2nd inning) and the Warriors were up 4-0 and had Will McMacken on the mound going strong -- I wish I could write something interesting but I can't as Big Will finished off the game with a complete game shutout.  Warriors 6 Dreamweavers 0.

In the upper Championship game the Panama Stingers played Stay Thirsty My Friends -- John M. vs. Dave H. were the pitching matchups.  Thirstys lineup was real strong this year while the Stingers strength was their pitching.  This game got off to a quick start as the Thirstys got three runs in the bottom of the 1st inning -- just solid hitting (and a couple errors) got them out to a great start.  Dave was throwing well and through 4 innings giving up just 3 hits.  The Thirstys lineup struck for 3 more in the bottom of the 4th and the route was on.   Thirstys went on to 9-1 victory -- this was the first time the games were not "close" as both winners truly showed why they are champions today.

The final night is reserved for the Live and Silent Auctions and of course the awards for the campers.

The only award I figured I had a shot at winning was the Cy Young -- I had two good outings (the awards are for the regular season -- not playoffs) and not sure who else at camp did that -- well I was nominated for the award and I did indeed win the award -- the under 50 Cy Young here at camp.  I received a Twins Mini Helmet signed by Frank Viola -- the 1988 MLB Cy Young award winner.  Very cool.

Another great week in the books -- much different than camps in the past but great no less.

Til next time.....

PB

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment