Saturday, January 15, 2011

Championship Game - Hammond Stadium

It was an amazing day at Hammond Stadium in sunny Fort Myers, FL - CAC (home team 7-1 record) vs 96 Tears (visitors - 5-3 record) - this post will be quick and then I will add another with basically the play by play. This post will be from memory. (updated 1/18/11 - my memory was not good so the recap is more extensive and "true")

I started the game on the mound Will McMacken started for the other team. (pictured below)


______________________________________________


______________________________________________

Recap of the game:

Top of First - My plan as the starting pitcher (and the fact that my elbow was questionable) was not walk anyone and to change speeds on my fastball (or as I like to call it - Changeup and Super Changeup). I was going to attempt to mix in the curveball when needed. Well the first inning worked out well - I was able to induce three ground balls en route to a 1-2-3 inning. I nice start as "96 Tears" has a powerful top of the lineup.

Bottom of first - I think Will's plan as the starting pitcher was opposite of me - just mow down the hitters. He has a nice fastball (70's) and a good curveball (which is hard to pick up because it doesn't spin like other curveballs). He induced another one, two, three inning - I batted 2nd - it was a 5 pitch AB as I fouled off a couple pitches and on the 6th pitch Will snapped off a curve and I was frozen pizza - strike three looking. It was a great pitch - I just timed out his fastball and then totally forgot about his other great pitch. I was walking to the dugout before the catcher caught it.
Tears 0, CAC 0

Top of the 2nd was an ugly inning - First of all the very first pitch of the inning was a changeup I gripped too hard (the baseball is like an egg, hold it like one) and it ended up behind the batter (who was my roommate). What the heck! I came back with some better pitches and he fouled a ball into foul territory - unfortuately my firstbaseman could not secure the catch for the easy out. Next pitch he laced a nice single into right field. Next batter I was able to induce the taylor made double play - third to 2nd to first - we got the double play....except the umpire called him safe at first. Yikes! I don't like to dote on the umpires, but he missed that one. With a runner on first I gave up a sharp single up the middle - runners on first and 2nd. I induced a pop up - but the blue sky and high sun was too much for my third basemen (now the umpire bailed me out and called infield fly here - batter is out but runners did advance to 2nd and 3rd). The next hitter hit a texas leaguer which scored two runs and 96 Tears is up 2-0. I gave up another hit and walk to load the bases (don't walk guys!). The next better took the count to 2-2 and hit a grounder between the mound and first - I was able to field it and get out of the inning.

Bottom of 2 - We went quietly as Will was finding his groove. Another 1-2-3 inning.
Tears 2, CAC 0

Top of 3 - I struck out the first two batters and got the final out on an easy fly ball to left field.

Bottom of 3 - Will was in the zone - grounder to first and two ground balls back to the pitcher and it was a four pitch inning for the big lefty.
Tears 2, CAC 0

Top of 4 - The leadoff hitter ripped one to left for a base hit (it was a great AB by Randy G - I had him 0-2 he fought off a good curveball and two outside fastballs - sometimes you have to tip your hat). The next hitter hit into a force play and I had one out with a runner on first. First pitch swinging my roommate hit a rope out to right field and the runner on first moves all the way over to third. I struck out the next hitter and now had two outs. I induced a slow ground ball up the middle but a miscommunication by the SS and 2B led to all runners advancing - 96 Tears scores again - 3-0. I was able to get the next batter to end the inning.

Bottom of 4 - Will is throwing the perfect game - but the first batter reached on a single and then was forced out at 2nd after a ground ball to short. Another fielders choice and CAC has two outs. Bob B (who hit great all week) lined a base hit up the middle and we had runners on the corners. A first pitch swinging Ryan McD knocked a base hit up the middle as well and CAC is on the board. I came up to bat with runners on first and 2nd - I was first pitch swinging as well - out in front and fouled out to the thirdbasemen.
Tears 3, CAC 1

Top of 5 - I was lifted in the top of the Fifth and Van B came in to start the fifth. He walked the first hitter he faced. The runner advanced to 2nd on a slow roller back to the pitcher, the runner was able to advance to third on a wild pitch. With one out, Van struck out the next two batters to escape the inning.

Bottom of 5 - Will struck out the first hitter for the first out. A double by our catcher and Van was hit by the pitch - we suddenly had the tying run on first. Ed (we called him Matt Stairs) came to the dish. Ed was first pitch swinging and he smoked one out to right field beyond all the fielders. Both runners chug it home and the game is tied at 3-3!! A harmless ground ball and strike out end the inning and it's a ball game folks!
Tears 3, CAC 3

Top of 6 - Van was able to get the first two batters (Pop out to Short and another strike out) but the lead off hitter was able to get a hit off of Van (probably an error). Randy G hit a little texas leaguer that Bob B was able to track down in shallow centerfield (potentially the defensive play of the game) to end the inning.

Bot of 6 - Ski was able to find a hole in the infield and was on with a leadoff single. He was pinch ran for because his legs could not hold up to the rigors of the week (give him credit as he is 60+ years old). A wild pitch let the runner advance to second. Fritz hit a ball back to the pitcher - he checked the runner at third and threw to first - aggressively our runner took third - the throw into third.....SAFE!! (now this was a close call as well). Our next batter gets a hit and we score to make 4-3. A fly ball and grounder to short ends the inning.
CAC 4, Tears 3

Top of 7 - Van is looking really good on the mound so he comes out for the final inning for the win and championship. The first hitter goes to a 3-1 count (nice hitters count) and on the next pitch sent a sky high fly to centerfield - Ed was under the ball and makes the catch - one out. Ed L. come up to the plate and quickly Van works him to an 0-2 count. Foul. Foul. Foul. Ball. Ball. Foul. Ball. It's a full count now. Great AB, Great pitching - Van rocks and fires a letter high fastball that Ed L. swung and missed - two outs!! The next batter works the count to 3-2 and as well and with the championship on the line Van was able to get the hitter to ground the ball to third - Mac gobbled it up (Gaetti) and throws it to first (Hrbek) and the CAC win the championship 4-3.

CAC 4, Tears 3

Great game.

I was a part of another championship team at the Fantasy Camp - wow, two in a row. That's crazy.

Another great week of camp and tonight will be the awards' night - so many good players at the camp it will be fun to see who wins these awards!

Exhausted.....

PB

updated....1/18/11

Pitching line: 4 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 3 K's
Hitting: 0 for 2

No comments:

Post a Comment