Wednesday, January 4, 2017

It's 2017 - what is better to start the year....but fantasy camp!

The first blog post of 2017 is now in the books (or getting there) and with just 3 days until the 2017 Twins Fantasy camp is in session this camper will do some quick thoughts before leaving cold country (should be negative degrees when the plane takes off on Saturday) and head to the green grass of Florida.

This will be my 8th (yes.....this was supposed to be a one time bucket list to do) camp - wow.  I have started an unofficial countdown to the coveted 10th camp (which includes an induction into the camp Hall of Fame -- oh yes so amazing! My wife will be so proud of me) which if everything goes as planned will be in Jan of 2019.  I have started plans of bringing a few friends with me -- one of them will absolutely be Mr. Westphal who I can blame for all this mess.  Back in 2007 - Mr. W told me he was going to the 2010 camp to celebrate his 40th B-day -- I decided to invite myself to his 40th party, I am glad I didn't wait for an invite in the mail.  Who would have thought I would be in my 8th year of writing this blog -- just for fun -- here is my first blog posting:

http://bennep.blogspot.com/2010/01/its-cold-in-minnesota-time-to-head-to.html

I went back and the first edition of the blog was written in 3rd person (so like Rickey Henderson speak) and it was fun to peruse through a few posts.  Over the years I was told not to post statistics (those are boring), more pictures, more updated standings, more funny posts, more stories about my childhood (so maybe not....but I did grow up in Coon Rapids, MN -- yes that is really the town name) and this blogger just keeps bloviating about the camp and generally about himself.....but if anything it's a fun journal to look at.  Apparently others look at it too - in total over 15,000 web hits (is that a term any more?) or page views and last year it was over 1500 (which has been the norm during camp week) -- so with that information I will keep the blog going -- mostly because many people have asked, "are you blogging?" and also because many of them like the updates.  My team is the main focus (and my play) -- because quite frankly I like to remember each year and how my team has done, etc -- but we will update standings, provide power rankings, and if I have time, handicap the playoff games at the end of the week.  I appreciate the feedback and know I have readers out there who "enjoy the show" (copyright Seinfeld)

Here is to zero rainouts this week -- we had 2 last year -- no bueno!

Follow me via twitter -- https://twitter.com/fantasycamper -- probably your best bet for up to date info and blog postings!  I will get more pictures up there this year -- I have a new phone and will remember my camera as well!

Be well - Happy 2017!

PB

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

2 comments:

  1. Have fun down there! Hope to be there for your 10 year HoF induction. I expect parades and confetti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your entourage for the 10 year is going to be epic!!

    ReplyDelete