Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Weds Recap - a much needed afternoon off + Standings

We play one game today at Twins Fantasy Camp and look forward to the afternoon off to let some of the aches and pains heal up. I was slated to start on the mound and we played the 1-3 All Niters squad and they were throwing their ace pitcher.  I knew if we could just score a couple runs we should be in good shape - their team seemed to struggle offensively so far - I just needed to continue to just throw strikes and let our defense to the work.
The first three innings went smoothly - both teams had some opportunities but no scoring - the All Niters struck first with a few nice hits and getting guys around the bases and scoring 3 runs - I was doing a great job of painting the outside corner, but a couple of pitches found more of the plate and they took advantage with timely hitting.
The HrSamSki's decided it was time to get a couple of runs as well - we scratched out 2 runs -- I had a hit, RBI and a run as a part of our semi rally and at the end of 4 innings the game was 3-2.  The 5th and 6th innings were all pitchers and we go into the 7th inning with the score still at 3-2.  I run into a little trouble early in the inning with the first two batters getting on base -- ended up striking out the 3rd batter for the first out. I was able to get the next batter to pop out and get out #2 -- but a wild pitch advanced the runners up a base -- so they had 2nd and 3rd.  I walked the next batter and the bases were chucked full of "All Niters" - after fouling off a couple pitches I was able to induce another pop out to end the inning.  I needed to keep them off the board as one run was possible for our team since the catcher had a hard time not allowing passed balls (and thus extra bases) -- we head into the bottom of the 7th looking for another comeback -- or at least a run.  Our leadoff hitter was Curt Sampson - I have written about Curt in past blogs, Curt is 82 and still at it, he has yet to get a hit in camp so far but has put the ball in play and at some time will find first -- but he worked a 5 pitch walk to get on first base (we pinch ran for him) -- that brought up the top of our lineup and we were hoping for a wild pitch (passed ball) to advance the runner so any hit would most likely score - the runner advanced on the 3rd pitch to 2nd but Joe ended up taking a curve ball for strike three -- so we have 1 out, guy on 2nd and I come up to bat.  I was scoping out the defender and decided if I can get something on the outside of the plate is to try to hit to RF - the guys out there didn't have much speed so that would be plan of attack.  First pitch offering -- outside fastball -- I froze, good pitch, I was looking curve ball there - but he painted it on the corner - it was actually a pitch I should have tried to hit to RF -- ok, strike one on me -- I was guessing curveball knowing the tendency -- the curveball came, I waited and knocked a hard line drive past both outfielders and like Forrest Gump -- I was runnin' -- I passed first and I was not going to stop until I got home -- I rounded 2nd, and headed to 3rd hoping Hrbek would be waving me in -- he was, I kept on chugging and touched home plate -- a victorious celebration ensued - a walk off 2 run inside the park homerun to win it 4-3. A great game with a great ending - lots of high 5's and hugs!

A much needed afternoon off is now ahead of me -- I do want to take the time for a couple of 'camp family' moments -- first of all today was "DQ Happy Hour" day - a few of us head over to DQ and enjoy some ice cream in memory of Carolyn Held - she was a camper for three years before passing away more than 3 years ago - we miss you Carolyn -- also another long time camper passed away this morning, Doug Borgeson.  His son, Tarron, and Doug would attend camp together and for obvious reasons could not make it this year - Doug's 11 year battle of cancer was finally too tough for him - We miss you Borgeson family -- our thoughts and prayers go out to the family during this time.  The 'camp family' is real and this news really takes the wind out of the sails.  RIP Doug.

We will be back tomorrow with our final two games of pool play and then "playoffs" Fri and Sat.

Updated Standings (unofficial....)
1) Hello Newman!  4-1
2) HrSamSki's    4-1
3) Wild Cats       3-2
4) Walking Dead  3-2
5) SQL's            2-3
6) Gotcha's        2-3
7) All Niters      1-4
8) 3 Amigos      1-4


~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment