Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015 Camp Blog and I am feeling a little fat and sassy....

So the January weather strikes again with cold temperatures and extreme wind chills this week before fantasy camp -- last year it was even worse (lower temps, much lower wind chills) so that direct flight to Fort Myers could not come soon enough.

So a few thoughts before I get my packing going tomorrow (yet another year where I will be getting things together on the friday before heading out) -- you would think I would be all packed up on Tuesday!   I guess coaching (and scouting) a 3rd grade boys basketball team needed more attention than my packing for a week of baseball.  We have our first game tomorrow and the boys are set to dominate (ok maybe not....but we have a good time).

This year at camp will be interesting -- I seriously am like that ball player who is in the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) year of a lucrative contract and have gotten amazingly lazy.  I love reading articles about sports figures and how they worked out in the off season and have declared they are in "the best shape of their life" -- See article if you want to know what I am talking about:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/search/best+shape+of+his+life/

I am announcing quite the opposite -- this year (my sixth year attending fantasy camp) I will be officially in the "worst shape of my life" (when counting fantasy camps) -- I weighed in at 190 earlier today at the old Lifetime Fitness Moore Lake in Friendly Fridley -- the last time I weighed this much was in 1999 -- so basically I got lazy, ate everything and anything and bam -- an extra 15 pounds finds his way around that waistline.  It mostly has been a diet thing - eating out way too much has caused me to balloon up -- I am hoping most of uniforms fit ok.....so pictures might be at a premium this year.  I am a bit more concerned about my ability to stay injury free - my workouts have been light and body is not nearly as in good of shape -- I would say 2011 and 2012 I was in very good "camp" shape and I checked in at around 170-175 lbs which is where I really should be -- when you stand 5'7" -- 175 is plenty of poundage to be dragging around.  I am just lucky I am not in a contract year as I would really need to pull a rabbit out of my hat.  So I am going to apologize ahead of time to my teammates and hopefully this extra weight turns triples into doubles and get my CC Sabathia pitching performances going -- so we will see -- let's just focus on being injury free, a few more feet away from the buffet line and, as always, just have a good time.

35 hours until that flight heads out of cold country.....we will keep you updated this week and BOLD predictions will be in play along with usual assortment of blogs.

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

3 comments:

  1. What about doubles into singles and singles into 7-3 put outs?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not that fat -- but the doubles into singles could certainly happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily there are no 7-3s at fantasy camp. :-)

    ReplyDelete