Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cuba Adventure Continues

Day 4 – Evening – so Paul and I (my current roommate and a good friend from Twins Fantasy Camp) decided to just go simple on our 2nd night in Havana so we went to a Palador (which is a restaurant that is inside of a home – we have went to 3 of them and the food is outstanding at all of them) and were recommended to get a meal at Bom Appetit – they serve all sorts of food but they have the best pizza in Havana.  We shared a Hawaiian – which was Ham (or at least that is what they call it) and pineapple.  Now normally I am not a fruit on my pizza sort of guy but this was by far one of the best pizzas I have ever had.  We ran into a couple of teammates who were meeting some “friends” at the place as well – and yada yada yada – they made the team bus in the morning on time.  The more interesting part of the evening was we had about a 15 min cab ride on the way to the restaurant and it cost 10 CUC (Cuban Convertibles) but on the way back I think it took about 7 mins – we were riding in a Russian car – Lada (evidently is rivals such lemons as the American Ford Pinto) and it was like driving back to the Hotel on the autobahn – it was a fun ride – I ask the guy – how much – he says, “OCHO” – I gave him 11 CUC – I guess the Lada was good for a discount and a fun ride.
Day 5 – Havana
We are bussed to an old stadium where the Havana Metropolitans played (the team has since folded) – the country of Cuba has 15 professional baseball teams (might be 16) and they all represent a province.  The guys can only play on the team from the province they were born – that is the only rule.  Baseball is huge in Cuba – simply amazing.  So we were playing a bunch of ex professional ballplayers a couple of them even played on the National teams from the 90’s – to say the least we were overmatched today – I struck out twice and lined out to right field – we played very poor defense along with their good hitting – my guess was the score was 20-1 (or something like that) – we still had a lot of fun.  I gave away most of my uniform today – my pants, shirt, and hat – also I brought additional items to give away and was able to trade for two uniforms (shirts the other guys were wearing) and will put together a picture blog once I get back – takes too long to upload and tag pictures and internet is limited and somewhat slow.   I hit the pool this afternoon at the hotel – it is like paradise, the hotel Melia Cohiba is outstanding.  A 5 star hotel – simply great.  I even have internet access (although not cheap, but worth every penny).    The bus took us on a tour of the “Old Town Center” – lots of history here.   Tomorrow we are going to play our 5th and last game – we have won 1 game – so hoping to make it respectable and win tomorrow for 2 wins on the trip.   The weather has been a little cooler (low 80’s) and less humidity than Cienfuegos – lots of water and hydration has kept me energetic for the games.  My legs (hamstrings) are feeling it today, probably from pitching yesterday but all is good – no injuries, lots of fun and tonight I am going to hang out with our 69 year old pitcher Lou – he is a great guy who lives in the San Francisco area and is an International Business Consultant – his company is headquartered in Malta – a small island off of Africa – amazing stories all around.
One more full day here, we leave Friday morning – this country is very strange – my last post will highlight the strangest that I have seen and learned while here.
Be well.

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment