Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday (Day 1 of Camp) - Pro Clinic Workouts - Inner squad games

Day one is in the books and it is a day to get things going.  A little stretching routine, pro staff led clinics and the afternoon is open for a 'scrimmage'.  The scrimmage is more set up for the Pro Staff to do some evaluations of players as later this afternoon they will have a formal draft of each camper here and the teams will be announced this evening.

The pro staff clinics included:  infield practice with Kent Hrbek, Frank Quilici, and Ron Coomer -- pitching techniques with Frank Viola, Lee Stange, and Dick Stigman -- Hitting instruction by Tom Brunansky -- Baserunning with Milt Cuyler.

Hrbek, talking about how easy it is to play first base, Frank Quilici and Ron Coomer

Milt Cuyler explaining baserunning

We had a great lunch and the afternoon consists of the "Inner Squad" scrimmage -- all the rookies get to play in the first time in their Twins uniform and some veterans get out there to knock off some of the rust.

I ended up having a nice afternoon -- my first at-bat I took a pitch over the left fielder and came in with a stand up double and an RBI....then I walked in my only other AB as the pitcher threw me four pitches of which none were close to the plate (that can happen around camp).  I ended up pitching 2 innings and did not give up a run but used it mostly for getting loose on the mound.  I will admit, it felt good to toe the rubber.

The weather was absolutely beautiful today 75 and sunny -- I need to remember to put on the sunscreen (and chapstick) as the sun really takes alot out of this 'very pale' skinned camper.

Off to watch the football game with the rest of the campers.....update will come later with the teams announced in a couple hours.

--PB

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

1 comment:

  1. PBJ - I've added a Camp Cy Young to the list of awards I want you to come home with...
    ds

    ReplyDelete