Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday - Pre Game Thoughts and more ranting...

Yesterday we finished up the round robin of games and truly our team has had a great week. We really do have a nice team with some very good players. You hate to make predictions but if we play an average game this morning we SHOULD win.....but I have always said that baseball is a funny game and when it comes down to a single game any team can win. The key to winning at fantasy camp is just making the SIMPLE plays. Easy ground ball to 2nd base needs to be taken care of. What happens a lot is the slow grounders to 2nd/SS/3rd or even the pitcher turn into singles (and sometimes doubles out here). Since the routine plays are not routine the pitcher needs to keep walks at a minimum. So don't give away outs and keep the baserunners off the bases. We have good defense, good pitching, decent hitting, and young legs. Our team is set up to win today's game and move on to the championship game on Saturday in Hammond Stadium. This blogger is hoping to let you know how warm it is at first pitch tomorrow.

A roommate rant - - just because I was thinking about this the other day. So I have a roommate here at the hotel who (just by chance) was a fellow rookie camper last year (as was I). One of the amazing surprises about fantasy camp is the friendships that are created with other campers. So this guy (let's call him Ed) is someone who I never met before the beginning of camp last year and I played ball with him this summer and then for some reason he agreed to be roommates when I asked him if that would be a good idea last fall. In general I am the kind of roommate that is easy going, let's the "other guy" pick the bed, get first dibbs on this or that....because I really don't care about particular things. I just like to roll with the situation and not get all bent out of shape about stupid things (now trust me....I do it enough about other things). What is interesting about this week -- Ed is playing the part of "easy going roommate guy" -- letting me take the desk (I have all my crap electronic gadgets on the single desk - seriously it looks like a board game here), he gave me the bed next to the window (and he checked in first - he totally had rights to it), he has never asked to change the channel on the TV when I have been watching it (I even had FoxNews on last night), and he has been super sensitive to the snoring thing (which is not a big deal). So on Weds I was thinking about this - since Ed is good roommate...am I that bad roommate guy? I hope not. *smile* I guess the good part about this week is sometimes you get a roommate that you thought you knew at the beginning of the week and by the end of the week you wish you didn't know them. In this case it is nearly the end of the week and Ed is one of those roommates you look back and go - "boy that was a great week getting to know you better". (I just hope he talks to me next week after I clean up all my stuff I have had all over our room).....

Final Thoughts - I lead off today's game and I would like to set the table early and get on base - I am hoping our team is loose, focused, and in the mindset of having fun this morning. Dick Bremer is on the mound for us today - he is a good pitcher - I will be playing first base (as instructed by my teammates) - it will be nice to save my legs for a potential pitching call tomorrow.

PB

No comments:

Post a Comment