Saturday, January 13, 2018

Camp Finals!

Saturday is a great day at camp.  For half the campers they get one more game and a quest for a championship, the other half of camp may be just happy to be done playing baseball - for many campers 8 games in 5 days is plenty of baseball -- the rookie campers if you include the game on Sunday and the Pro's/Rookie game on Friday afternoon -- make that 9 games in 6 days......so it can wear on a few.

The morning game was match up was the Belly-Ups vs. On the Rox -- this game looked to be pretty good match up on paper and it played out that way.

On the Rox scored 1 in the bot of 3 as Scott Ryan smoked a single to right field to get the scoring going. Rox scored 2 more in the 4th to make it 3-0.  Belly's finally plated a run in the top of the 5th to make it 3-1, but Rox came back with one more. Johnny Moore shut the scoring down the rest of the way and On the Rox went on for a 4-1 victory.  Both teams had good friends of mine on the team, but I was rooting for one guy, Randy Beran.  Randy has been at camp for 9 years.....the same 9 I have attended - this was his very first saturday.  Randy gets to go back to MN as a champion -- look for that plaque in 2-4 weeks Randy!!!!!!

The afternoon game match up was Ex-Terminators vs. ReLoads.  This blogger was the starting pitcher in this versus a solid pitcher (maybe the best in camp) in Andrew Williams.



















Williams and I both traded scoreless first innings and I was ready to lead off in the top of the 2nd inning.  I fouled off two fastballs and finally connected with a solid single to RF to get on base.  I was able to reach 3rd on a base hit by Holmsman (probably Rookie of the Year at camp) and scored on a the next pitch as they turned a double play -- but the Ex-T's strike first and get a 1-0 lead.  We move forward to the top of the 4th inning with the still at 1-0.  We tack on another run and I was left on the on base circle again -- but we now up 2-0.  I get through the bottom of the 4th inning clean as well - we turned 2 double plays in back to back innings (3rd and 4th) so not throwing alot of pitches.  I had decided I was going for broke today and pitching as hard as I basically can since it is the last day of camp and I figured if I can get through 4 or 5 innings, Van Beach can close it out for us.  Top of 5 now and I lead off again - this time a simple 4 pitch walk.  Holmsman finds a way to square one up and I took off from first right away and score easily -- it was a great hit to left field and the fielder had no chance, the sun and wind were not easy out there.  My legs felt like jello after that and I let Beach know I am going to pitch one more inning.  Bot of 5, we are now up 3-0. They have the top of the order back up to bat -- so I start off the first guy 3-0 count.....but battle back and get him to fly out to left on a 3-2 pitch.  That was big.  Ended up getting the next two guys out and complete the 5th inning of zero runs.















The 5th inning was the last inning for Williams as well, Wolfe came in and pitched a scoreless 6th, Beach got through the bot of 6th (they had a few runners on) without giving up any runs and we head to the 7th inning.  Dr. Karon came in for the ReLoads and we started up a rally and we finished up by adding 3 runs, I had a nice 2 RBI triple to left to cap off the inning and we lead 6-0.
Beach finishes off the game in fine fashion and the Ex-Terminators are the Blue division Champions!

Final Score!


Van Beach!


The shortstop all week Ben Kepple!


The championship picture of the whole team!

Tonight is the final banquet, they give out individual awards this evening to the top talent at camp so we shall see how it happens.

Just had a great week, amazing teammates and new friendships formed this week.

We will have one more blog post tomorrow and wrap it up! 

--PB

~~ "You can observe a lot just by watching." - Yogi Berra ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment