Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Triple Header Hump Day - Notes from Kangaroo Court

Because of the rain out day on Monday the camp had to adjust the schedules a bit so today we will be playing a "triple" header.  The morning will consist of two 5 inning games (back to back) we will get lunch and in the afternoon play our standard 7 inning game.

Kangaroo Court was in session and this is one of the highlights of camp -- we get the Honorable Judge Blyleven presiding.  This is where campers (and pro staff, and others -- everyone is fair game)  can be "fined" for certain on and off field offenses (with all the proceeds going to the Children's Hospital) and laughing is not optional, it is mandatory.  Standard fines include (but not limited to):  taking a called strike three, not wearing shower shoes, and the rookies get dinged well for being rookies.  Bert called my name out and decided to let me know that tweeting in the dugout is something the Judge doesn't appreciate.  I got fined $20 for it and tweeting at camp (like last year) is costing me money.  I will keep my wallet handy for friday's session -- it is not like I am going to quit something fun like tweeting!

Before court they give out "game" MVP's -- I was able to get the game 1 MVP with my pitching effort -- the fun part was the game 2 MVP when to my rookie roommate and old college friend Mark Cheeley.  I shouldn't have told him earlier that I think he has a shot at it since he clearly had the best performance of our players -- of course he didn't believe me that was possible -- here is the video:

Mark wins game 2 MVP honors

Today I am a bit worried -- the forecast calls for 86 degree weather and it has been humid this week -- generally the weather around Fort Myers for the camp has been about 70 degrees and low (or no) humidity -- so today might be a tough one for many guys out there.  It doesn't take much to get overheated so guys need to be smart and really pound down the liquids.  One of my favorite friends out here passed out during the banquet last night -- it leaves a sick to my stomach feel -- the early prognosis is he was suffering from dehydration and the EMT's were here quickly to take care of the situation -- I hope he is well enough to see him today or tomorrow -- prayers lifted buddy!

PB

~~ "Fans don't boo nobodies." - Reggie Jackson ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment